Welcome to Panachallenge!
If you are already a member, Click Here to Log In.

t t rss cal
    Home   ·   Rules   ·   Mugshots   ·   Challenges   ·   Stats   ·   Forums   ·   Help Register    

Panachallenge #161 Vanishing Point
(You MUST log in to be able to make comments in the forum.)
      Panachallenge Forum -> PanaChallenge -> Challenge Talk
       Go to Page 
 Author        Message (72 posts) Next Page >>
davep56

27 posts

[1 of 72]  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2015, 17:10 (1772 days ago)

Panachallenge #161 Vanishing Point is underway.

"The idea is to illustrate perspective. It is NOT necessary for any lines to meet on the horizon. (Check the forum for clarification as the questions come in!)

Here is a site with mostly urban examples:
http://abduzeedo.com/amazing-vanishing-point-photography

Another site with a greater variety:
http://www.crystalgraphics.com/powerpictures/images.photos.asp?ss=vanishing-point

Finally, a site with some great tips:
http://www.digital-photo-secrets.com/tip/3500/using-a-vanishing-point-in-your-photography

The winner of the Open Category will get to choose a subsequent theme. (created by Mepo)"

Entry period: Thu 23 Jul through Thu 13 Aug 23:59:59 UTC
Voting: Fri 14 Aug through Mon 17 Aug 23:59:59 UTC

You may submit entries taken with a Panasonic Lumix (and their Leica cousins) digital camera to the main category, and/or you may submit entries taken with any digital camera to the open category. The theme applies to both categories.

Your photo for either category must be taken during the entry period, starting Thu 23 Jul.

For more info, go to http://www.panachallenge.com/challenge?challenge=191&f=f
Rules: http://www.panachallenge.com/challenge/rules.php?f=f

Good luck!

Mepo

1754 posts

[2 of 72]  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2015, 22:51 (1771 days ago)
Modified by Admin: Fri Jul 24, 2015, 01:44 (1771 days ago)

mrsawyer has requested I clarify the statement that the lines do NOT have to meet. I wanted to avoid everyone thinking they had to photograph railway tracks or other long straight lines as a requirement.

Perhaps the best example of this is in my third site reference - digital-photo-secrets - and the photo of the Lego figure which illustrates that "A vanishing point can even be implied with a shadow in front of a back-lit subject."

A vanishing point can also be well illustrated with something as compact as chess pieces on the chess board if you photograph it the right way. I think it's a wide open challenge with lots of possibilities but it's up to you to turn one of the many available subjects into a "spectacular" photo.

davep56

27 posts

[3 of 72]  Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2015, 05:44 (1771 days ago)

Thanks for that extra information Mepo

Dave

mrsawyer

1601 posts

[4 of 72]  Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015, 17:15 (1768 days ago)
Modified: Mon Jul 27, 2015, 17:35 (1768 days ago)

Just posted here. Hopefully will attract some new blood!

www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56215532

... and here ...

/www.flickr.com/groups/lumix_fz/

johncomyn

258 posts

[5 of 72]  Posted: Sat Aug 8, 2015, 10:53 (1756 days ago)

SO technically the sky meeting the land, or the horizon is a vanishing point? Does there need to be more than one line? Can the lines or line end in the foreground? Will just portraying perspective suffice? What about using shallow depth of field where the subject vanishes into a blur?

Thanks John

Mepo

1754 posts

[6 of 72]  Posted: Sat Aug 8, 2015, 11:43 (1756 days ago)

Hi John: Re the sky meeting the land, technically you may be correct but I suspect that won't help in the voting; same for only using one line but with your talent maybe you can make that spectacular.

As for having the lines end in the foreground - well I'm not sure how you do that. Give me an image of a road or railway where the lines get farther apart as they reach the horizon and I will probably vote for it.

I don't understand how you can have a vanishing point in the foreground unless you are creating an abstract. It is normal to have the lines from the edges of any object meet (and vanish) on the horizon line. The horizon line is often established by an artist render perspective correctly in a drawing. The physical horizon is often not the actual horizon line (where the lines merge and vanish) that is oft times beyond the physical horizon, This was one reason I stressed that the lines do NOT have to meet in the image. You have an excellent artist close by who (from what I've seen) has an excellent understanding of this subject. Perhaps you should consult that oracle :-)

As for the dof - there is no restriction on how much you blur the vanishing point, however I suspect that too much blur would reduce the concept that we are trying to illustrate.

Finally, yes you can simply portray perspective. If you do so without having a vanishing point I again suspect that it might not appeal to the voters.

You might be interested to know that it was our visit to your beautiful corner of Ontario with those superb long vistas that was partly to blame for my choosing the subject of perspective in the first place.

I also have the sneaky feeling (based on your previous work) that you probably know far more that I do about all this and are perhaps pulling my leg!

johncomyn

258 posts

[7 of 72]  Posted: Sat Aug 8, 2015, 16:33 (1756 days ago)

Thanks for the reply Mepo.

Could you give me a example in landscape without a road, rail track, creek or river or parallel lines of
trees. I have some landscape images that show decreasing dimensions as they head for
the horizon. Not sure if that qualifies.

In your second link it shows a wheat image with shallow depth of field, not sure how that
translates to vanishing point.

thanks

John

Mepo

1754 posts

[8 of 72]  Posted: Sat Aug 8, 2015, 19:08 (1756 days ago)
Modified by Admin: Tue Aug 11, 2015, 14:41 (1753 days ago)

Hi John: I don't have any examples but we are certainly not limited to straight or hard lines.

You are right about the wheat photo. My apologies for the multiple photos of wheat & grass in the second site example. None of these illustrate the vanishing point in my opinion although some have a small degree of perspective. I included that site because it had so many interesting varieties that did do a good job of illustrating the vanishing point. I wanted to expand peoples imagination of the subject. I guess I should have warned members to pick ones that included a vanishing point.

Nature and farming both have their own lines of perspective, some of which are obvious. Rows of crops even the edges of fields can all produce an excellent vanishing point. They don't have to meet in the photo as stated in the challenge. We should be able to illustrate a vanishing point even if it is well past our visual field of view.

I did find a wonderful image of a one rail fence which illustrated a perceived vanishing point beyond the horizon in the photo. It reminded me of your question about a single line. However it was not absolutely a single line due in part to the thickness of the top (and only) rail. I can't show it because it was copyrighted.

As for your image qualifying, I hope that the admins will not disqualify any image just because it does not have a vanishing point in their opinion. I think we should leave that judgement up to the voters.

I hope that this discussion does not cause anyone to think only in terms of long distances. Some of the best examples of vanishing points can be found in and around the home. I guess the same can be said for vanishing pints as well.

So happy you are working on this and hope that your questions will encourage others to find a unique and/or interesting shot.

Admin Note: I highlighted Mepo's amusing typo above, after QueenEsther cited it as a good idea! Cheers!

QueenEsther

36 posts

[9 of 72]  Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2015, 19:25 (1754 days ago)

Mepo, I like the idea of vanishing pints. I think we could both make a few pints vanish. What do you say?

Mepo

1754 posts

[10 of 72]  Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015, 10:00 (1753 days ago)
Modified: Tue Aug 11, 2015, 10:02 (1753 days ago)

QueenE: I like the way you think! Especially since I don't have an entry yet - I may have to drown my failure in a pint or two.

Thinks - now if I put all the glasses in a long line I might have an entry

Next Page >>

Panachallenge Forum -> PanaChallenge -> Challenge Talk
       Go to Page 
    Comments? Suggestions? Problems? Click here!       Disclaimer