Welcome to Panachallenge!
If you are already a member, Click Here to Log In.

t t rss cal
    Home   ·   Rules   ·   Mugshots   ·   Challenges   ·   Stats   ·   Forums   ·   Help Register    

Panachallenge #183 Ad Hoc Filters
(You MUST log in to be able to make comments in the forum.)
      Panachallenge Forum -> PanaChallenge -> Challenge Talk
       Go to Page 
 Author        Message (73 posts) Next Page >>
Lo

444 posts

[1 of 73]  Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017, 11:23 (275 days ago)
Modified: Fri Mar 3, 2017, 16:55 (259 days ago)

Panachallenge #183 Ad Hoc Filters is underway.
"Shoot your subject through something which alters the appearance in some way (No mass-produced camera filters allowed.) **The filtering substance should be anywhere between the camera and the subject and affect the whole image, not just a small part of the image. For this one, post-processing should not be relied upon for creating the effect. ***In the Extra Info, please share what you used as an ad hoc filter on your photo. The winner of the Open Category will get to choose a subsequent theme!*"

Entry period: Thu 16 Feb through Thu 9 Mar 23:59:59 UTC
Voting: Fri 10 Mar through Mon 13 Mar 23:59:59 UTC

You may submit entries taken with a Panasonic Lumix (and their Leica cousins) digital camera to the main category, and/or you may submit entries taken with any digital camera to the open category. The theme applies to both categories.

Your photo for either category must be taken during the entry period, starting Thu 16 Feb.

For more info, go to http://www.panachallenge.com/challenge?challenge=219&f=f
Rules: http://www.panachallenge.com/challenge/rules.php?f=f

Good luck!

Clarifications to the theme description

If snow, rain or heat haze can add an effect to a scene/subject without obliterating it they should be fine as ad hoc filters.

There are many things that can be used as filters. Things like textured glass, wet windows, petroleum jelly on glass or plastic (NOT on your lens!) coloured cellophane, mesh, etc. I hope to see a wide variety of different things employed. I'm looking forward to seeing what people come up with.

I think that something shot through a clear glass bowl with an engraved pattern would count. The 'filter' (glass bowl) has been present over the whole image. Although the effect is not consistent it seems to have had some effect on even the clearer parts.
Just say what is used in your notes. If something covers the entire scene but doesn't interact with the subject consistently, it's still a filter.

Now, to the 'whole image' aspect... what I want is a picture that has been influenced substantially by something that serves as a filter.

If one has vaseline on a UV filter ( or on a piece of glass or plastic - cheaper, less destructive) it is still a filter even if not entirely covered. (And I have seen interesting photos taken with vaseline over all of the filter.)

If one has a scene which contains a small part of the scene behind something that affects only that small part of the picture, then that is not what I am looking for.

Leave things open, let participants meet the challenge as they will and the voters decide the results as usual. I just hope that people do include notes.

Mepo

1615 posts

[2 of 73]  Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017, 20:02 (274 days ago)

Can we have some clarification on the acceptability of some widely available filters like rain, snow, heat haze, fog, smog or smoke?

mrsawyer

1340 posts

[3 of 73]  Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017, 22:20 (274 days ago)

Mepo wrote:
Can we have some clarification on the acceptability of some widely available filters like rain, snow, heat haze, fog, smog or smoke?

I would think that all of the above are acceptable, as the requirements are that the ad hoc filter be between the camera and the subject and affect the whole picture.

Just be sure to tell what filter you used in the Extra Info.

(Heat haze, Mepo? I don't think you'll be using that one in your part of the world!)

jomari

32 posts

[4 of 73]  Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017, 02:34 (274 days ago)

If snow, rain or heat haze can add an effect to a scene/subject without obliterating it they should be fine as ad hoc filters.

There are many things that can be used as filters. Things like textured glass, wet windows, petroleum jelly on glass or plastic (NOT on your lens!) coloured cellophane, mesh, etc. I hope to see a wide variety of different things employed. I'm looking forward to seeing what people come up with.

Mepo

1615 posts

[5 of 73]  Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017, 09:52 (274 days ago)

Bernie: In this weather, the exhaust from our furnace sometimes obliterates the whole street

Mepo

1615 posts

[6 of 73]  Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017, 10:11 (274 days ago)

I thought that the filters I suggested should be accepted but I was trying to avoid the situation where someone puts in a beautiful photo in the fog (for example) and some members decide that fog is not a filter.

However, getting a clarification in the forum does not appear to work because many members obviously don't read the forums. I suggest that as much detail as possible should be included in the original challenge description. I also suggest that when a clarification is requested and answered, that we include that in an amended challenge description.

Each challenge would then have a series of noted amendments (Amd #1) posted right up there with the original.

I'm already seeing comments in the current challenge where members have apparently not seen the clarification in the forum as to the location of the backlight. I know the comment is made with the best intention, it's simply a case of a lack of agreement on whether the light has to come from directly behind the subject. I thought this point had been clarified as a result of a post from aoc46.

I also realise how difficult it is to specify any challenge. There are always going to be questions. So let's accept that and put a short answer as an amendment to the challenge description.

Lo

444 posts

[7 of 73]  Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017, 10:48 (274 days ago)
Modified: Fri Feb 17, 2017, 10:50 (274 days ago)

I was curious as to what I could use as an ad hoc filter, so I went on the internet. My most successful search was with "DIY Filters". Here are a couple of links. There are several more.

http://content.photojojo.com/inspiration/photo-projects/ten-filter-ideas-on-the-cheap/

http://blog.befunky.com/5-diy-camera-filters-using-household-items/

RobertLavker

214 posts

[8 of 73]  Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017, 14:05 (273 days ago)

Does the entire image have to be effected by the ad hoc filter? What about 75%? Some guidance, please.

ysal

297 posts

[9 of 73]  Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017, 14:10 (273 days ago)

Mepo wrote:

However, getting a clarification in the forum does not appear to work because many members obviously don't read the forums. I suggest that as much detail as possible should be included in the original challenge description. I also suggest that when a clarification is requested and answered, that we include that in an amended challenge description.

I think Mr. Mepo has a point here. I try to read most of the comments on the forum page. However, I sometimes get busy and find myself looking at 3 pages worth of comments and clarification after being away just a couple of days. It gets impossible to filter out crucial information about the current challenge.

I don't know if you can edit the challenge description after it is opened, but that would be helpful, especially if it is added in bold or italic letters or any other way to get people's attention that new information has been added.

Mepo

1615 posts

[10 of 73]  Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017, 14:55 (273 days ago)

Lo: Those are good links. Love the tip about glasses and sunglasses - they are nearly always where I can find them. Not too happy about ruining a pair of my pantyhose just for the challenge, though .
      Next Page >>

Panachallenge Forum -> PanaChallenge -> Challenge Talk
       Go to Page 
    Comments? Suggestions? Problems? Click here!       Disclaimer