Welcome to Panachallenge!
If you are already a member, Click Here to Log In.

t t rss cal
    Home   ·   Rules   ·   Mugshots   ·   Challenges   ·   Stats   ·   Forums   ·   Help Register    

Panachallenge #199 - Landscape
(You MUST log in to be able to make comments in the forum.)
      Panachallenge Forum -> PanaChallenge -> Challenge Talk
       Go to Page 
 Author        Message (30 posts) Next Page >>
ysal

541 posts

[1 of 30]  Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018, 20:27 (797 days ago)
Modified: Thu Mar 29, 2018, 11:39 (792 days ago)

Final wording:

For this challenge, we shall interpret "Landscape" in the traditional sense of the word. Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines Landscape as "a picture representing a view of natural inland scenery". So, for this challenge, capture a wide view image that best represents this definition. Water, buildings, and people may be part of the image, but they should not dominate. Let’s go out and capture a seasonal image in your part of the world, or something that is iconic in your neighborhood, or simply a breathtaking representation of the scenery that surrounds you.

Wide angle lens would be helpful but not a necessity. Panorama shots (anything wider than 16:9) are NOT allowed.

As always, post processing information will be hidden during the voting phase.

Original wording:

It has been a while since we were challenged by this theme. So, the objective is wide open. Show us your best "Landscape" capture. Whether you capture a seasonal image in your part of the world, or something that is iconic in your neighborhood, or simply a breathtaking representation of a scenery that surrounds you. As always, post processing information will be hidden during the voting phase.

The entry and capture periods begin Thu 29 Mar 23:59:59 UTCP

mrsawyer

1601 posts

[2 of 30]  Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018, 00:21 (797 days ago)

Now is the time for anyone who wants to streamline the theme, or make suggestions, to speak up (before the official announcement of #199 next week).

aoc46

153 posts

[3 of 30]  Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018, 02:26 (797 days ago)

Can the "Landscape" be shown in portrait orientation if desired?

ysal

541 posts

[4 of 30]  Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018, 09:36 (797 days ago)

aoc46 wrote:
Can the "Landscape" be shown in portrait orientation if desired?

Yes, “landscape” should only apply to the subject and not the aspect ratio of the image.

Mepo

1754 posts

[5 of 30]  Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018, 22:22 (796 days ago)

I think this challenge is anything but straightforward.

I suspect that landscapes of country scenes would be the preferred entries in this challenge. The broader interpretation of landscape might not be as well accepted.

I believe the subject should be accompanied by a definition.

According to Wikipedia “Landscape photography shows spaces within the world, sometimes vast and unending, but other times microscopic. Landscape photographs typically capture the presence of nature but can also focus on man-made features or disturbances of landscapes.”

If this is what is intended then perhaps also include a link to photos of some of the alternative interpretations.

Thanks for the opportunity to comment on this before it launches.

ysal

541 posts

[6 of 30]  Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018, 12:35 (796 days ago)

We can go with one of two ways with this.

1. Limit entries to strictly landscape in the traditional sense.

or

2. Any image that is traditional landscape or anything that resembles landscape. This could be things like sliced agate rock, closeup of lichen or moss, etc.

Let me hear your thoughts and I’ll decide which way to go. If we go with #2, I’ll make sure to list examples.

Mepo

1754 posts

[7 of 30]  Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018, 15:24 (796 days ago)

I'm of two minds.

On one hand, I'm tired of seeing words changed to cater to self indulgent interests so I'd like to stay with traditional landscapes. The traditional definition from the Oxford dictionary includes this "A picture representing an area of countryside."
On the other hand, I would like to see a broader scope that might produce some unusual or striking shots. This combined with an awareness that some members may not have access to an area of countryside.

I hope some other members will join in and make a choice. I'm happy to go with either interpretation.

aoc46

153 posts

[8 of 30]  Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018, 00:45 (795 days ago)

I'd suggest following the spirit of "traditional landscape," but allowing for non-traditional content to adjust for modern conditions.

John Constable, whose 18-19th century paintings are the model of landscape for most people, said, "I should paint my own places best." And in that spirit, our current brief says, "Whether you capture a seasonal image in your part of the world, or something that is iconic in your neighborhood, or simply a breathtaking representation of a scenery that surrounds you."

So let's concentrate on subjects in our own environment (say, within a day trip from home). Even if our "own places" don't include rolling hills, cows and haystacks, there's still scenery to be found in city streets, shopping malls and industrial parks.

ysal

541 posts

[9 of 30]  Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018, 08:30 (795 days ago)

Personally, I’m with aoc46.

mrsawyer

1601 posts

[10 of 30]  Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018, 12:53 (795 days ago)

Good to see some discussion of the pre-announced theme before it actually launches! Hopefully, this will continue as we pre-announce each challenge theme!

We have 3 days left to determine the final wording of the challenge title and description.

Next Page >>

Panachallenge Forum -> PanaChallenge -> Challenge Talk
       Go to Page 
    Comments? Suggestions? Problems? Click here!       Disclaimer