Welcome to Panachallenge!
If you are already a member, Click Here to Log In.

t t rss cal
    Home   ·   Rules   ·   Mugshots   ·   Challenges   ·   Stats   ·   Forums   ·   Help Register    

Panachallenge #236 Furniture (Opens 2020-09-17)
(You MUST log in to be able to make comments in the forum.)
      Panachallenge Forum -> PanaChallenge -> Challenge Talk
       Go to Page 
 Author        << Previous Page Message (23 posts) Next Page >>
Jade O.

1105 posts

[11 of 23]  Posted: Sun Oct 4, 2020, 09:02 (24 days ago)
Modified: Sun Oct 4, 2020, 09:03 (24 days ago)

Lo wrote:
I just want to clarify - Is this just furniture, or can someone be sitting on it?

I don't know if I'm supposed to answer this, but being as the topic is Furniture and the choice of topic is being attributed to me I would think it can be anything you want and the voters will vote as they wish. If I was entering or voting, my thoughts would be assuming a table or a bookshelf doesn't have to be empty, why would it be so for a chair? I don't think we're restricting this to an eBay, Amazon, or other catalogue type shot. I'm simply ever hopeful just to see some good photography in whatever form that takes and I personally would prefer there to be no restrictions on any topic unless it relates to a particular technical aspect such as long exposure or panning where the point is to demonstrate camera technique.

aoc46

167 posts

[12 of 23]  Posted: Sun Oct 4, 2020, 10:45 (24 days ago)

Jade, Lo, et al.-
My view on this is definitely not official, but I would say that if you have a person (or animal, etc.) in the chair, you run the risk of the shot becoming more about the person than the chair. IMO, the furniture should clearly be the "star" of your image.

Mepo

1786 posts

[13 of 23]  Posted: Sun Oct 4, 2020, 11:46 (24 days ago)

I hope that Jade's view on this prevails. I would usually prefer to see a photo of furniture with a person (or animal) in the photo to support the reason for the existence of the furniture. Just as I would prefer to see a bookshelf with books on it. That's not to say that I would not pick a shot of a bare chair (for example) if it was attractive. Of course, it's the viewer's prerogative to decide whether a supporting element dominates the photo.

I also feel it is very important to realize that other members may not have the same interpretation of a challenge as I do. I try to include rather than exclude. Picking a single element of a challenge description is an easy way to reduce the number of entries to judge, but I think it's inequitable.

Lo

638 posts

[14 of 23]  Posted: Sun Oct 4, 2020, 16:58 (23 days ago)

Thanks for the replies - I'm happy to see a broader approach to the theme. I like your comment about Amazon, JadeO. I had considered entering a couple of shots of people on chairs, but I have to admit they were more about the people than the furniture. Back to the drawing board..... BTW, as the creator of the theme, we appreciate your input to the Forum.

Jade O.

1105 posts

[15 of 23]  Posted: Mon Oct 5, 2020, 10:18 (23 days ago)

Thanks Lo. Just don't ask for my views on the choice of challenge topic....

Lo

638 posts

[16 of 23]  Posted: Mon Oct 5, 2020, 11:47 (23 days ago)

Just don't ask for my views on the choice of challenge topic...

JadeO, I really did like your original suggestions, and I hope we can revisit them in another challenge. Thanks for submitting a second set - it opened up the competition to those members who really can't move about due to lockdown.

Jade O.

1105 posts

[17 of 23]  Posted: Mon Oct 5, 2020, 13:14 (23 days ago)

I had more faith than some I guess in the ability of the members to shoot on topic without stepping outside their shelter...and without having to look too hard to find ideas....
But it'll be interesting to see what people can cook up with this topic....

mrsawyer

1633 posts

[18 of 23]  Posted: Thu Oct 8, 2020, 20:02 (19 days ago)

Voting is open in Panachallenge #236 Furniture .

To vote or view entries, go to: http://www.panachallenge.com/challenge?challenge=283&f=f

Voting will continue through to Mon 12 Oct, 23:59:59 UTC.

forkcandles

663 posts

[19 of 23]  Posted: Thu Oct 8, 2020, 21:40 (19 days ago)

well the challenge is opened and we only have 4 people and a dog included in the images and not all in the same one
there are some nice catalogue styles
stay safe and healthy

mrsawyer

1633 posts

[20 of 23]  Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020, 05:10 (16 days ago)
Modified: Mon Oct 12, 2020, 05:11 (16 days ago)

forkcandles wrote:
well the challenge is opened and we only have 4 people and a dog included in the images ...

... and no horses, dead nor alive!

Though I was expecting more entries, since I hope all our members had access to furniture!

<< Previous Page Next Page >>

Panachallenge Forum -> PanaChallenge -> Challenge Talk
       Go to Page 
    Comments? Suggestions? Problems? Click here!       Disclaimer