Welcome to Panachallenge!
If you are already a member, Click Here to Log In.

t t rss cal
    Home   ·   Rules   ·   Mugshots   ·   Challenges   ·   Stats   ·   Forums   ·   Help Register    

Challenge #237 Out of the Ordinary (Opens October 8)
(You MUST log in to be able to make comments in the forum.)
      Panachallenge Forum -> PanaChallenge -> Challenge Talk
       Go to Page 
 Author        Message (20 posts) Next Page >>
ysal

578 posts

[1 of 20]  Posted: Fri Oct 2, 2020, 00:56 (26 days ago)
Modified: Thu Oct 8, 2020, 17:08 (19 days ago)

Challenge #237 Out of the Ordinary is now open:

Out of the Ordinary Take a picture of an ordinary, everyday INANIMATE object around your home or neighborhood. Your photographic skill in composition, lighting, color, etc., should take it from mundane to magnificent. Extreme post-processing is OK, too, as long as the viewer still can recognize what you started with. An extra-ordinary opportunity to show off your creative talents!

Entry period: Thu Oct 8 through Thu Oct 29, 23:59:59 UTC
Voting: Fri Oct 30 through Mon Nov 2, 23:59:59 UTC

You may submit entries taken with a Panasonic Lumix (and their Leica cousins) digital camera to the main category, and/or you may submit entries taken with any digital camera to the open category. The theme applies to both categories.

Your photo for either category must be taken during the entry period

--------------------------------

Please post any questions or comments about this theme so they can be clarified prior to the start of the challenge.

Theme Clarifications
1. Change the phrase "everyday object" to "everyday inanimate object".

forkcandles

663 posts

[2 of 20]  Posted: Fri Oct 2, 2020, 10:17 (26 days ago)
Modified: Fri Oct 2, 2020, 10:17 (26 days ago)

this will be fun, and something to do as the evenings draw in near the end of summertime and as the pubs/restaurants close early and local lockdowns come into force

and remember to check the speed [note to self]

Mepo

1786 posts

[3 of 20]  Posted: Sat Oct 3, 2020, 20:57 (24 days ago)

Does "object" includes people, animals, birds, etc.
This challenge could turn out to be an object of my affection

aoc46

167 posts

[4 of 20]  Posted: Sat Oct 3, 2020, 21:34 (24 days ago)

"Object" was intended to be inanimate.

Mepo

1786 posts

[5 of 20]  Posted: Sat Oct 3, 2020, 23:20 (24 days ago)

No problem, still a good challenge. But I think that should be made clear.

Jade O.

1105 posts

[6 of 20]  Posted: Sun Oct 4, 2020, 09:10 (24 days ago)

I take it "extreme" includes moving the image into the category of surrealism? I know many here have expressed the view that reworking an image with PP at some point is "no longer photography" to quote one comment, but that viewpoint is not my concern. I wish to clarify for those who don't share that view whether or not surrealism (surrealist genre of photography) still meets the Challenge topic.

aoc46

167 posts

[7 of 20]  Posted: Sun Oct 4, 2020, 10:51 (24 days ago)

Though I personally am not a great fan of surrealism, the intent was that anything goes, as long as the original object still is recognizable.

Jade O.

1105 posts

[8 of 20]  Posted: Sun Oct 4, 2020, 13:58 (23 days ago)

aoc46 wrote:
Though I personally am not a great fan of surrealism, the intent was that anything goes, as long as the original object still is recognizable.

I'm surprised. You are the only one who voted my surreal Main Entry no. 1 in the last challenge...

I still think these surreal images are photography...
-
https://1x.com/photo/1941621/latest:conceptual
-
https://1x.com/photo/1948103/popular:all
-
https://1x.com/photo/1915319/latest:conceptual

aoc46

167 posts

[9 of 20]  Posted: Sun Oct 4, 2020, 14:38 (23 days ago)
Modified: Sun Oct 4, 2020, 14:39 (23 days ago)

Jade -
When I think Surrealism, I think Dali, with melting watches and bizarre creatures. Merriam-Webster defines it as "the principles, ideals, or practice of producing fantastic or incongruous imagery or effects in art, literature, film, or theater by means of unnatural or irrational juxtapositions and combinations."

I agree that your three examples are photography - and very fine examples at that. I don't find them especially "fantastic or incongruous," however. (Maybe it's just that nothing surprises me much nowadays.) Likewise, as your boats and light poles weren't melting, I wasn't inclined to think Surrealism, though I admit would that your image does qualify under the M-W definition.

FWIW....

Jade O.

1105 posts

[10 of 20]  Posted: Sun Oct 4, 2020, 17:00 (23 days ago)

Ah the old melting Dali trick....

https://1x.com/photo/1920050/latest:conceptual

I admit I never was a fan of Dali.

And for those who are wondering, the earlier links were indeed highly surreal compositions....for example, same model, different background and composition...

https://1x.com/photo/1921485/latest:conceptual

Next Page >>

Panachallenge Forum -> PanaChallenge -> Challenge Talk
       Go to Page 
    Comments? Suggestions? Problems? Click here!       Disclaimer